Pack 3177 Pinewood Derby Rules
Holy Family School, Stow Ohio
- General Rules
- The Scout Oath and the Scout Law shall be observed by participants and their guests at all times.
- At weigh-in, each boy takes his car to the inspection table to have it pass final inspection and be impounded until race day.
- As each heat is announced, drivers retrieve their own car from the starter’s table and place it at the starting gate. The starter releases the gate.
- Each car will race three times, once in each lane. The cumulative time of all three races will be used to determine the winner of the race.
- After the race, cars are returned to the starter’s table, in the event of additional heats.
- If a car leaves the track, runs out of its lane, interferes with another car, jumps the track, or loses an axle or any other part that affects the race result, if the car can be repaired quickly, the heat will be run again, and the first result discarded.
- Judges’ decisions are final.
- Race Car Rules:
- The car must have been built by the scout and his Akela (parent, guardian or other leader) within the last year. (For example, the scout may build another car or make modifications to the same car used at the Pack Race to comply with the district rules).
- The width of the car shall not exceed 2-1/4 inches
- The length of the car shall not exceed 7 inches
- The height of the car shall not exceed 3 inches
- The weight of the car shall not exceed 5 ounces
- Wheel bearings, washers, and bushings are prohibited
- Only dry lubricants, such as powdered graphite or silicone, may be used for lubrication of the axles
- The car must stand alone, not riding on any kind of spring or other device
- The car must be freewheeling, with no starting devices
- No loose materials of any kind are allowed in the car
- Axles, wheels, and body wood shall be as provided in the Official Grand Prix Pinewood Derby Kit
- Trophies will be awarded for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place finishes
- Best in Show:
- The judges may, at their sole discretion, bestow up to three best in show awards